17 October 2013

Innovative project aims at helping young people living with HIV

This article was published in Bangkok Post newspaper on 15 October 2013. 

 
Story by Heamakarn Sricharatchanya
Photos and video by Metee Thuentap


PETCHBURI -- Kai* was born with HIV but did not know his status until he was 15. Depressed and unsure about his future, he sometimes threw away his antiretroviral (ARV) medicine pills, took them late or did not bother taking them at all. When his doctor asked whether he had taken his medicine on time, Kai would always answer “yes.”

“When I was younger, I did not care about taking ARV,” says Kai, who is still a teenager and sports both a tattoo and a pierced ear.  “Also, I did not want my friends to see me taking the pills, so I simply skipped them sometimes.”

This is an extremely dangerous practice, as antiretroviral medication helps protect people living with HIV from opportunistic infections as well as helping to suppress -- and even stop -- the progress of the virus.  In short, ARV helps people with HIV remain both healthy and alive.  Yet many young people like Kai fail to take their ARV medication every day, or do not to take them at the same at the time every day, which makes the medication far less effective and can lead to drug resistance.

According to Dr. Pope Kosalaraksa, project manager who leads this study to provide holistic care for adolescents living with HIV/AIDS at Khon Kaen University’s Srinakarind Hospital, 1 in 4 adolescents living with HIV have problems in adhering to their antiretroviral medication schedules. In addition, 1 in 5 adolescents have had sexual relations, most fail to use condoms regularly.

In order to address these issues, UNICEF is working with partners on an innovative model project aimed at keeping young people on their ARV medication schedules and also practicing safe sex. The adherence project is co-funded by ViiV Healthcare's Paediatric Innovation Seed Fund through TREAT Asia/amfAR.  Srinakarind Hospital and HIV-NAT/ The Thai Red Cross AIDS Research Centre are the leading organizations working with UNICEF on this.

“This holistic care model is the first in Thailand that provides both clinical and psychosocial support for young people,” says Dr. Witaya Petdachai, a senior expert pediatrician at Prachomklao Hospital in Petchaburi, which is one of the partners working on the project.

Under the project, 85 young people with HIV from between 13-24 years of age are being assisted, with services being provided to them with the support of Srinakarind Hospital, Prachomklao Hospital, the Thai Red Cross AIDS Research Centre in Bangkok, the AIDS ACCESS Foundation and seven community hospitals in Chiang Rai, and the We Understand group. All of the young people taking part in the project, which began in August 2012, were born with HIV and have ARV medication adherence levels below 95 per cent.

Som learns how HIV virus attacks the body and how antiretroviral suppresses progress of the virus.
© UNICEF Thailand/2013/Metee Thuentap
 

The project is aimed at helping to improve adherence to ARV medication schedules by helping the young people better understand the HIV virus, giving them hope for the future and teaching them to manage negative attitudes about their situation. 

“I volunteered to participate in this project,” says Som*, 20, who makes a living working at a factory. “It has helped improve my adherence. I used to take my ARV late, but I am more disciplined now.”

Som says has learned more about the HIV virus and how antiretroviral medicine helps protect her, which in turn has helped keep her on a regular medication schedule.

“The ARV keeps me healthy and allows me to work like anyone else,” says Som, whose paychecks from the factory are used to support herself and the aunt who raised her.

The project is using SMS technology to achieve its goals. An SMS system conceived and developed by the Thai Red Cross AIDS Research Centre has been programmed to send out an SMS to each young person taking part in the project at the time of day they are supposed to take their antiretroviral medication.

Dr. Witaya said the SMS is sent out twice a day to remind them to take their medicine. The SMS is written in such a way that if someone other than a young person involved in the project was to read the message, they would not know that it had anything to do with HIV or a medication schedule.

When the young people receive the message they are required to SMS back whether they have taken their antiretroviral medication. If they reply, “no”, the system will send them another SMS to remind them again. If the young people reply that they need even more encouragement, a nurse working on the project will call them to see what the problem is and encourage them to take the medicine. To objectively measure adherence, Thai Red Cross and TREAT Asia have organized for hair samples, collected from the adolescents every three months, to be tested at a lab in the United States. The hair samples reflect adherence levels over the past 3 to 6 months, and it is much more accurate way of measuring adherence than a pill count or other methods.

A hair sample is collected from the youth living with HIV. It reflects adherence level over the past 3 to 6 months.
© UNICEF Thailand/2013/Metee Thuentap

“After joining the project, I realize how important it is for us to take ARVs on time,” says Kai, who dreams of becoming a soldier and of having a family one day. “If we take them on time, it will control the virus and keep us strong. No one can tell just from looking at us that we have HIV.”

Another major focus of the project is promoting safe sex. Adolescents living with HIV are taught about the virus, sexual activities that lead to the spread of the virus, how to practice safe sex and how to go about disclosing their HIV status partners.

Mac* said he used to have limited knowledge about safe sex, but that the project has helped him understand how to use positive prevention methods and how to reveal his HIV status to his partner.

“I have a girlfriend,” says Mac, 18. “I used what I learned from the project to explain to her, little by little, about HIV. When she understood everything about the virus, I told her about my HIV status. I knew she might not be able to accept that I have HIV and that she could easily walk out of my life.

“It turned out that she accepted my status and did not leave me,” he says with a smile.

The lessons learned and experience gained by UNICEF and its partners through the project will be shared with others working on HIV so that they can be applied more widely to helping young people with HIV.
If the model proves successful in terms of improving adherence and in promoting safe sex, UNICEF and partners will advocate that it be adopted at the national level and that such services be expanded to other hospitals and communities in Thailand” said Nonglak Boonyabuddhi, HIV/AIDS officer of UNICEF Thailand.

“UNICEF firmly believes that all young people living with HIV should be able to live a normal and healthy life so that they can make sustained and positive contributions to the lives of their families and the communities they live in.” Nonglak said.

*not their real names

10 comments:

  1. DR.ORIOMON help me from [HIV]



    BABARAH [USA]



    What ad but today am very happy to give this story to you all, it all happen when I was 23 year well because of this disease I can get married and very happy today am now negative I can get married now to my follow people that is on my shoes this the go great man, a great thanks to DR.ORIOMON the man that bring me out of this sorrow this is the man that can as well help the world, on this diseases I can remember 5 year ago when I was searching for cure, and how I have spent much money and I finally lost hope due to my conduction I have to put my hope on god, lucky to me last week here I was on the internet, check on how many year I can spent on earth them I see a comment about this great man DR.ORIOMON what a lucky day for me and today am giving my testimony about him I have never believe there is cure at all, but this man just want me to give him a try, if he cannot do it I will know his is not DR.ORIOMON that he have been doing this cure for more than many year now I put my hope on him and also my dear good way to say bye to this diseases [HIV] contact this man now dr.oriomonspiritualtemple@yahoo.com

    .
    and i pray that he will help you also. All thanks to DR.ORIOMON, you can contact me on.oriomonspiritualtemple@yahoo.com



    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to let the world know about Doctor Zazaz the Great spell caster that brought back my husband to me when i thought all hope was lost. Doctor Zazaz used his powerful spell to put a smile on my face by bringing back my man with his spell, at first i thought i was dreaming when my husband came back to me on his knees begging me to forgive him and accept him back and ever since then he loves me more than i ever expected so i made a vow to my self the i will let the World know about Doctor Zazaz because he is a God on earth. Do you have problems in your relationship ? have your partner broke up with you and you still love and want him back ? Do you have problem with your finance ? or do you need help of any kind then contact Doctor Zazaz today for i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you just as he helped me. Doctor Zazaz email is: indiaspellcaster@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so happy that my ex is back to me, he now adore and respect me, anything i tell him that is what he follows. all thanks to Akuchi the great spell caster, this man is the best and straight forward prophet that tells you the truth and you will get result under 24 hours, he is very trustworthy please if you need your lover back please kindly contact him on his private email: adisashqiptar@shqiptar.eu ) he can solve any kind of problem you are facing, spiritually, mentally, physically, emotionally and financially. contact him via: adisashqiptar@shqiptar.eu

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Mrs Katrina was been suffering hardship from HIV/AIDS since a year now, and i happen to have 2 kids for my husband, and now we cannot proceed to have another kids all because of my disease and now i have do all what a human like i and my husband can do just to get my disease healed, i have went to several places to seek for help not even one person could ever help, until i melt a comment on the daily news paper that was commented by Miss Marilyn about how this powerful traditional doctor help her get cured of the disease (HIV-AIDS) " my fellow beloved" i firstly taught having a help from a spiritual traditional healer was a wrong idea, but i think of these, will i continue to stress on these disease all day when i have someone to help me save my life?" so i gather all my faiths and put in all interest to contact him through his Email address at traditionalspellcentre@gmail.com, so after i have mailed him of helping get my disease cured, i respond to me fast as possible that i should not be afraid, that he is a truthful and powerful doctor which i firstly claimed him to be. So after all set has been done, he promise me that i will be healed but on a condition that i provide him some items and obeyed all his oracle said. I did all by accepting his oracolous fact and only to see that the following week Dr Kamachu mail me on my mail box that my work is successfully done with his powers, i was first shocked and later arise to be the happiest woman on earth after i have concluded my final test on the hospital by my doctor that i am now HIV- Negative. My papers for check are with me and now i am happy and glad for his miraculous help and power so if you need help don't hesitate to contact him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Johnson Paul from united kingdom i am here to thank DR OLA the powerful spell caster that rescue me from HIV AIDS. I was diagnosed of this disease in the year 2012, and because of this, i was very unhappy with my life, and i went into research on how i can get cured, i contacted a lot of spell casters and none of them could help me rather they scammed me and took away my money without helping me. All this period of my life, i was sad and unhappy so one day as i was in the INTERNET i decided to sign in a friend guest book, only for me to see a testimony of a lady on how she was helped by DR OLA so i was confused to contact him at the moment because i didn't want to be scammed again but after one week, i decided to contact him, so when i contacted him, he assure me that he will help me and i told him that many spell casters has also told me this but they all scammed me, he told me not to worry that he is going to help me, So i believe in him because all i wanted was to be cured, so he prepared a healing spell for me and told me to wait for just 24 hours, after 24 hours, i went to the hospital for test and to my happiness the test stated that i was cured from the disease.. This gladdens my heart and everybody in the hospital was surprised even the Medical Doctor, So viewers DR OLA is a God Gifted man and can help you to cure all types of sickness like HIV AIDS, CANCER, PILE, Kidney problem, Syphilis and lot's more. You can contact him through his email on DROLAHEALINGCENTER@GMAIL.COM or you call him +2348100368288.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Windy Wagner from united kingdom i am here to thank DR OLA the powerful spell caster that rescue me from HIV AIDS. I was diagnosed of this disease in the year 2012, and because of this, i was very unhappy with my life, and i went into research on how i can get cured, i contacted a lot of spell casters and none of them could help me rather they scammed me and took away my money without helping me. All this period of my life, i was sad and unhappy so one day as i was in the INTERNET i decided to sign in a friend guest book, only for me to see a testimony of a lady on how she was helped by DR OLA so i was confused to contact him at the moment because i didn't want to be scammed again but after one week, i decided to contact him, so when i contacted him, he assure me that he will help me and i told him that many spell casters has also told me this but they all scammed me, he told me not to worry that he is going to help me, So i believe in him because all i wanted was to be cured, so he prepared a healing spell for me and told me to wait for just 24 hours, after 24 hours, i went to the hospital for test and to my happiness the test stated that i was cured from the disease.. This gladdens my heart and everybody in the hospital was surprised even the Medical Doctor, So viewers DR OLA is a God Gifted man and can help you to cure all types of sickness like HIV AIDS, CANCER, PILE, Kidney problem, Syphilis and lot's more. You can contact him through his email on DROLAHEALINGCENTER@GMAIL.COM or you call him +2348100368288

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello let me give this testimony to the public about a great man who help me out in serious illness I have HIV AID for good 5year and I was almost going to the end of my life due to the way my skin look like all I have in my mind is let me just give up because life is not interesting to me any longer but I just pray for god every day to accept my soul when ever I’m gone lucky to me my kids sister run to me that she found a doctor in the internet who can cure she help me out on everything the man ask for my picture, so he can cast a spell on me from his temple after all he ask is done 45mins later I started getting more stronger my blood start flow normally for 4 to 5 days I start getting Wight before a month my body start developing my skin start coming up after 2month I went for HIV test and I was tested negative I’m so happy that I can say I’m not a HIV patient if you have HIV/AID or any sickness he can still help you in getting your ex-back to you please contact him via his email drosassolutioncenter@gmail.com or
    call him on phone +2349035428122
    1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. before people said there is no cure on HIV/AIDS but today many people have now believe that there is a cure. HIV/AIDS can be cured through Africans root and harms,and days our great doctors have finally found the cure of HIV/AIDS, many have get cured with the help of a great spell caster known as PAPA OLTA he is the one of the great spell doctor in Africa and he has the cure on this disease HIV/AIDS. last month he share is Haber medicine in some medical hospital and now he is well recognize as one of the best spell caster in Africa, you don't have to be sad any more or share your tears any more on this disease when the cure have already be found. in 2013 the total number of people living with HIV/AIDS was 12.9 million but today the total number is 1.6 million if you want to get in touch with him in private contact him on this e-mail below: oltaspellcaster@live.com or call +2348153292656 good luck is facebook user name: (get hiv cure) or Skype user name (papa olta)

    ReplyDelete

  9. My Name is Emil.I will love to share my testimony to all the people in the forum cos i never thought i will have my girlfriend back and she means so much to me..The girl i want to get marry to left me 4 weeks to our wedding for another man..,When i called her she never picked my calls,She deleted me on her facebook and she changed her facebook status from married to Single...when i went to her to her place of work she told her boss she never want to see me..I lost my job as a result of this cos i cant get myself anymore,my life was upside down and everything did not go smooth with my life...I tried all i could do to have her back to all did not work out until i met a Man when i Travel to Africa to execute some business have been developing some years back..I told him my problem and all have passed through in getting her back and how i lost my job...he told me he gonna help me...i don't believe that in the first place.but he swore he will help me out and he told me the reason why my girlfriend left me and also told me some hidden secrets.i was amazed when i heard that from him..he said he will cast a spell for me and i will see the results in the next couple of days..then i travel back to Us the following day and i called him when i got home and he said he's busy casting those spells and he has bought all the materials needed for the spells,he said am gonna see positive results in the next 2 days that is Thursday...My girlfriend called me at exactly 12:35pm on Thursday and apologies for all she had done ..she said,she never knew what she's doing and her sudden behavior was not intentional and she promised not to do that again.it was like am dreaming when i heard that from her and when we ended the call,i called the man and told him my wife called and he said i haven't seen anything yet... he said i will also get my job back in 3 days time..and when its Sunday,they called me at my place of work that i should resume working on Monday and they gonna compensate me for the time limit have spent at home without working..My life is back into shape,i have my girlfriend back and we are happily married now with kids and i have my job back too.This man is really powerful..if we have up to 20 people like him in the world,the world would have been a better place..he has also helped many of my friends to solve many problems and they are all happy now..Am posting this to the forum for anybody that is interested in meeting the man for help.you can mail him to agumaguspelltemple@gmail.com I cant give out his number cos he told me he don't want to be disturbed by many people across the world..he said his email is okay and he' will replied to any emails asap..hope he helped u out too..good luck:agumaguspelltemple@gmail.com.Once Again His Email Address Is: agumaguspelltemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to testify to the entire world of how i got cured by Dr olikipa healing spell from HIV AIDS. I have been living with this deadly disease for the past 11months, i have done all i can to cure this disease but all my efforts proved abortive until i met a old friend of mine who told me about a spell caster who cast spells to heal all kind of diseases, though i never believed in spells i decided to give it a try when i contacted this spell caster, he helped me cast a healing spell, low and behold, when i went for a checkup i was told i am negative. Contact this great spell caster for any kind of disease via this email drolikipaspellhome@gmail.com or you can also call him on +2348110037989

    ReplyDelete